At Skinny Revolution, we know that weight loss isn’t just a physical journey, it’s a mental battle too. That’s why it is so important to look after your mental wellbeing.
These tips have been carefully selected to help improve your mental health. However, if you’re feeling more than just a low mood, always go to your GP.
Connect with other people:
- Good relationships are important for your mental wellbeing
- Helps you to build a sense of belonging and self-worth
- Gives you an opportunity to share positive experiences
- Provides emotional support and allow you to support others
- If possible, take time each day to be with your family, for example, try arranging a fixed time to eat dinner together.
- Try switching off the TV to talk or play a game with your children, friends or family.
- Do not rely on technology or social media alone to build relationships. It’s easy to get into the habit of only ever texting, messaging or emailing people.
Be physically active
- Great for your physical health and fitness
- Raises your self-esteem
- Helps you to set goals or challenges and achieve them
- Causes chemical changes in your brain which can help to positively change your mood
- Do not feel that you have to spend hours in a gym. It’s best to find activities you enjoy and make them a part of your life
if you have a disability or long-term health condition, talk to your doctor about getting active with a disability
Learn new skills
- Boost self-confidence and raising self-esteem
- Helps you to build a sense of purpose
- Helps you to connect with others
- Try learning to cook something new. Find out about healthy eating and cooking tips
- Try taking on a new responsibility at work, such as mentoring a junior staff member or improving your presentation skills
- Work on a DIY project, such as fixing a broken bike, garden gate or something bigger.
- Do not feel you have to learn new qualifications or sit exams if this does not interest you. It’s best to find activities you enjoy and make them a part of your life
Giving back to others
- Create positive feelings and a sense of reward
- Gives you a feeling of purpose and self-worth
- Helps you connect with other people
- It could be small acts of kindness towards other people or larger ones like volunteering in your local community.
- Spending time with friends or relatives who need support or company
- Volunteering in your community, such as helping at a school, hospital or care home
Pay attention to the present moment
This is also known as “mindfulness”. Mindfulness can help you enjoy life more and understand yourself better. It can positively change the way you feel about life and how you approach challenges.
- Watch your thoughts
- Be aware of thoughts and feelings
- Free yourself from worries of the past and future
- Try yoga or meditation to develop a sense of mindfulness and awareness of breathing
- Watch controlled breathing videos online.