While few people manage to stick to strict bedtime routines and for people who struggle with insomnia, this can be a real problem. Irregular sleeping hours make it even harder for the body to wind down and fall asleep. Your routine depends on what works for you, but the most important thing is working out a routine and sticking to it.
If you have difficulty falling asleep, a regular bedtime routine will help you wind down and prepare for bed. Here are our tips to wind down and get yourself into a sleeping routine to stop you falling asleep during the day!
- a warm bath will not only help you unwind and relax your muscles but also helps your body reach a temperature that’s ideal for rest
- writing to-do lists for the next day can organise your thoughts and stop your mind racing.
- relaxation exercises, such as light yoga stretches, help to relax the muscles. Do not exercise vigorously, as it will have the opposite effect.
- relaxation sounds, meditation sounds are great to relax the mind. The gentle hypnotic music and sound effects to relax you. There are countless apps you can get to help you unwind, The NHS have a great library: the NHS Apps Library.
- reading a book or listening to the radio relaxes the mind by distracting it
- avoid using smartphones, tablets or other electronic devices for an hour or so before you go to bed as the light from the screen on these devices may have a negative effect on sleep
Start your weight loss journey with us today
T: 0800 084 2159